The sun has unleashed its fury, and the temperatures are already soaring high! With the heat seeming to drain our energy, one certainly needs to take extra measures to maintain a healthy diet. And when you're speaking about the sweltering summer, salads are the most vital part of our meals. These are low in fat and gentle on our stomach. So, it's time to bid adieu to the oily dishes and include the humble salad in your daily food intake.
But tossing the classic greens to whip up a tasty recipe can be a tough task for many! If you are scouting for refreshing, delectable, and healthy summer salads, simply read on for easy ways to beat the heat without fretting about weight issues.
3 Healthy Summer Salad Recipes You Must Try
So many salads and so little time! We hope these summer salads satiate your taste buds and leave you longing for more.
1. Yummy Corn Salad Recipe
Corn is easily available, and you can make this summer salad recipe in a jiffy for 7-8 people.
What you need:
- Black pepper, ground roughly - 1/2 teaspoon
- Jalapeno, chopped finely – 1 Tbsp (Use gloves while handling these peppers)
- Fresh corn - a bowlful
- Red onion (chopped finely) - 1/2 cup
- Cucumber (should be seeded and chopped to the same size as onions) - 1/2 cup
- Cherry tomatoes, cut in half-sized pieces - 1/2 cup, Tip: cut cherry tomatoes in half quickly
- Cider vinegar - 1/2 cup (this is easily available in a store)
- Bell peppers (any color but chopped finely) - 1/2 cup
- Basil leaves - 1 Tbsp
- Sea salt - 1/2 tsp
- Arugula leaves - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1⁄2 to 1⁄4 cup
- Parsley - 3 Tbsp.
- Take a large bowl. Add the roughly ground black pepper with sugar and some sea salt. Add vinegar. Mix the preparation carefully as this is your salad dressing. Place aside.
- In the meantime, you need to remove fresh corn from the cobs. Else, you can also purchase ready-made packages of frozen corn from the store. In case they are not fresh, you can blanch the pieces of corn in boiling water with a pinch of salt. Wait for a minute and stir the corn into the ice-cold water. You will see a difference in the texture!
- Now, take a large bowl. Use all the remaining ingredients with the corn and toss them well. (Keep the arugula leaves and salt to be used for later.)
- It's time to serve. Transfer this salad to your serving bowl. Gently place the dressing prepared earlier and add a pinch of salt. Garnish with arugula leaves, and it's done!
Use this easy summer salad with your meals for a refreshing spin to your menu.
2. Spicy Cucumber Salad Recipe
Cucumber is a modest ingredient, and this summer salad recipe is ideal for those who are regularly on the move, with very little time to spare. 10 minutes and the salad is ready! (Ideal for four people.)
What you need:
- Cucumber cut into small pieces - 1, medium-sized. Always opt for a slim cucumber to avoid having too many seeds inside.
- Onion, chopped in small pieces - 1, medium-sized
- Tomato, chopped in small pieces - 1
- Radish, cubed - 1, small size
- Green chili, chopped – 1 or 2, as per your taste
- Chopped fresh coriander for garnish
- Lime juice - 2 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chaat masala powder - 1 tsp, (Indian spice powders are available easily at all leading stores.)
- Take a deep salad dish and combine the following ingredients together - tomato, radish, cucumber, onion, and green chili.
- Place this bowl in the fridge. Keep it for an hour.
- Then sprinkle some lime juice and add a pinch of salt with the chaat masala powder before serving. Mix it well. Use freshly chopped coriander leaves as a garnish.
Always avoid putting the salt in advance as this gives salads a soggy texture. Use it as a side dish during your meal times to beat the heat.
3. Simplest Cabbage Salad Recipe
The versatile cabbage can be the hero of the dish even if it's a salad recipe (serves 2).
What you need:
- Cabbage (grated finely 2 cups)
- Roasted peanuts crushed into small pieces - 2 Tbsp.
- Cottage Cheese / Boiled Eggs cubes
- Salt – as per taste
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp.
- Lime juice - 1 tsp.
- Grated coconut - 2 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves for garnish
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
- Chopped green chili - 1
- Curry leaves - 4-5
- Place the grated cabbage in a large dish, and sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Add the crushed peanut pieces, chopped coriander and coconut (optional). Drizzle some lemon juice. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat one tsp oil. Quickly add the cumin and mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Now, add the chili pieces with a pinch of asafoetida and four curry leaves. Remove from fire. Pour over the salad mixture.
- Place in the fridge and allow the preparation to cool. Serve with a smile!
We hope you've loved these easy summer salad ideas to beat the heat. Also read our quick microwave Indian recipes to create a quick meal for yourself. Do share your suggestions and other salad recipes for summer you like in the comments below.