Food lovers cannot deny the temptation of fried food! In a world full of gastronomic delights, healthy living and eating often takes a backseat. But contrary to popular belief, healthy food isn't all that bland to the taste buds. If you master the tricks right, you'll soon find an improvement in the dietary habits.
Steam cooked food has plenty of benefits for individuals. This method helps in retaining nutrients of the prepared items. Whipping up steamed cooked recipes is easy with the microwave oven playing a significant role in the kitchen. It's possible to steam cook vegetables and meat such as chicken or fish in a microwave.
3 Easy, Healthy Steam Cooked Microwave Recipes
You'll go beyond using the oven for reheating only a cup of tea with the easy microwave steam cooked recipes mentioned below. These are even healthier than the quick Indian microwave recipes that we wrote earlier.
1. Yummy Steamed Broccoli Recipe
Haters of vegetables may not find broccoli as an appetizing vegetable. However, steam cooking the beautiful, green broccoli and adding seasonings can certainly tickle your taste buds.
☑ Broccoli florets - 2 cups
☑ Water – ¼ cup
☑ Garlic Salt – ¼ tsp
☑ Pepper – a pinch
☑ Olive oil – 1 – 2 Tbsp
☑ Lemon juice – 2-3 tsp
- Firstly, discard the large stems of the broccoli. Retain the crowns and cut into small-sized florets. Then, you'll need to clean the broccoli using water. Do not use florets that feel like rubber. Rinse well and check the florets for insects (this tends to form if it is slightly old and brown in color.)
- Now, you can start the steaming process. Take a microwave-safe bowl. Place the rinsed broccoli and water in the bowl. Cover with a wrap. You can allow some space for the steam to release. Microwave the broccoli for 5-7 minutes. This step is entirely dependent upon the wattage of the microwave. It is always better to test it first to avoid the broccoli from being over-cooked or slightly raw.
- Once done, drain the water. Test by inserting a fork into the broccoli. If it slides in smoothly, it's cooked!
- Place broccoli in a serving bowl. Use the ingredients mentioned above as seasonings. Mix them well. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Experiment with seasonings of your choice. Add garlic, cheese, lemon pepper, thyme, etc. to give this dish a different twist. Wasn't that simple and easy enough?
2. Easy Microwave Steamed Asparagus Recipe
Asparagus is another healthy vegetable you can microwave-steam and serve as a delicious side-dish. Here, the asparagus is the hero of the dish.
☑ Fresh asparagus – a bunch
☑ Water – 2-4 Tbsp
For the dressing:
☑ Lemon juice - 2 Tbsp
☑ Extra-virgin olive oil - ½ Tbsp
☑ Honey - 1 tsp
☑ Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
☑ Apple cider - 1 tsp
☑ Garlic clove, medium-sized – 1, crushed
Remember to purchase only fresh asparagus. Always look for the straight and medium-sized varieties. Do not buy very thick ones for this recipe.
- Remove the ends. Clean the asparagus in a bowl full of water. Rinse and repeat. Use a kitchen towel to wipe dry.
- Now, place them in a microwave-safe bowl filled with water and cover. Make sure the asparagus fits well into the bowl. Microwave steam for 5 minutes. Again, ensure you don't overcook it or keep it raw.
- Prepare the dressing for the asparagus with the ingredients mentioned above. Mix the microwave steamed asparagus with the dressing. While serving, use a little amount of the dressing on the asparagus.
Your microwave steamed asparagus is ready in a jiffy!
3. Microwave Steam Cooked Salmon Fish
Now that you've tried steaming vegetables in a microwave, you can move on to preparing tasty and the amazingly tender –Salmon fish. This preparation an easy recipe and will save time for busy cooks! This recipe serves one, but you can double it as per requirement. Remember, microwave-cooked fish food will continue to cook when kept out of the oven. So, you need to make it stand for a minute or two.
☑ Salmon filet, single piece - 1
☑ Homemade or store bought mayonnaise – 2 Tbsp
☑ Lemon wedges - 2-3
☑ Parsley - 1 Tbsp
☑ Sriracha sauce - 1-2 Tbsp. This is a hot chili sauce so go easy with the bottle!
☑ Salt, Pepper to taste
- Clean the salmon filet with plenty of fresh water and dry it.
- Now, take a microwave-safe bowl. Keep the salmon filets inside. Ensure the skin-side is facing downwards. Sprinkle salt and pepper and place the bowl aside.
- Then, take another bowl to prepare a delicious mixture (like a spread). Use the mayonnaise and sriracha sauce. Apply it carefully over the salmon filet. Now, sprinkle lemon juice and chopped parsley.
- Use a tight cover or a plastic wrap (suitable for microwave use) as a cover for the bowl containing the fish. Microwave for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for a minute. Check if the fish has been cooked well by pricking it with a fork. When in doubt about the fish being raw, microwave for a few seconds again.
Once done, place it in a serving dish and use a garnish of your choice.
Tip: How to Steam Carrots, Vegetables in the Microwave
Steamed baby carrots with some mayonnaise or tartar sauce can be a perfect snack. You can some other veggies to your liking or use them in vegetarian salads.
- Slice up the carrots and other vegetables of your choice into small pieces. They can be sliced, quick diced or cut rounded, but the cut should be of small sizes.
- Place them in a microwave-safe bowl, and add a splash of water, enough to moisten them but not drown them.
- Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes. In between keep re-arranging them with a fork every 1-2 minutes.
- After done, check the tenderness with a fork. It should retain its shape, but soft enough that you can crush it with a spoon.
- You can also coat the carrots and vegetables with some butter or ghee lightly for more flavor before the steaming process.
Use your microwave oven in multiple ways to experiment with cooking. We hope you'll enjoy the microwave steamed recipes. Bon appétit!
Image Credits: Danny