Not all people are born with big eyes. Eyes are considered to be the most alluring part of our faces. People tend to gaze at each other's eyes while talking. We all want to beautify our eyes. Our eyes alter in appearance, size and color. In variety lies beauty. Here, we will discuss various methods of makeup to make your eyes look bigger. These universal eye makeup techniques are suitable for every type of small eyes irrespective of race and region.
Small eyes can appear bigger, brighter, attractive and expressive with these correct eye makeup techniques. Follow these eye makeup tips and you will be able to do your eye makeup yourself at home, within just a few minutes. These everyday eye makeup methods are suitable for both Asian eyes and white Caucasian eyes.
Eye Makeup Tutorial Video: Different Eyeliner Looks
Watch this very popular video tutorial for correct eyeliner application.
17 Eye Makeup Tips to Make Eyes Look Bigger
- Apply light colored eyeshadow on your eyelids that matches your skin color. The eyeshadow color should be a bit lighter than your skin tone and have little shimmer. Light eyeshadow colors such as peach, beige, pale pink, or light lavender are some ideal eyeshadow colors. Glittering and sparkling eyeshadows should be avoided.
- Apply silver or beige highlighter powder just under your eyebrows on your brow bone. Blend well for a natural look. Also, apply highlighter powder at both the inner corners of your eyes around the tear ducts. Smudge and blend the highlighter well along the upper and lower innermost corners of the eyes near the tear ducts. Application of the highlighter should be very subtle.
- Dark smokey eye makeup is not suitable for small eyes. Too much of dark colors and dark eyeshadows would make the eyes appear even smaller. Use two eyeshadow colors- a light eyeshadow and a dark one. If you are using a light eyeshadow color such as peach on your eyelids, use a darker shade of eyeshadow such as matte light brown on the crease of your eyelid. Apply matte dark brown eyeshadow on the outermost corner of your eyelid and blend well.
- Choose an eyeshadow color that is 2 or 3 shades darker than your skin tone. Apply this eyeshadow on the outermost corners below your lower lash line and outside the waterline with a brush. Smudge and blend the eyeshadow well. This technique would make the eyes appear larger.
- Apply white eyeliner pencil on the lower inside rim of your eyes. Apply white eyeliner on the entire waterline. The white eyeliner smeared waterline would merge with the white part or sclera of your eyes to create the impression of bigger eyes. If white eyeliner does not suit your complexion, try applying pale pink, or beige or champagne colored eyeliner on top of your white eyeliner on your waterline. This layering technique would impart a natural look to your waterline while making your eyes brighter and bigger. Wipe off the excess eyeliner from the lower lash line and blend well with the soft cotton tip of an ear bud.
- Girls with small eyes should never apply dark eyeliner or kohl or dark kajal inside the lower rim of their eyes on their waterline. This would make the eyes smaller.
- Women with little eyes should never outline the lower lash line entirely from innermost corner of the eye to the outermost rim of the eye, with dark eyeliners or kajal. This would further emphasize the small size of your eyes.
- Apply liquid black eyeliner on your eyelids, quite close to your eyelashes without any gaps. The eyeliner applied should be a thin line. Eyeliner applied on both eyes must look even and perfect. Eyeliner along with mascara should make the upper lash line appear dense, dark and beautiful. Eyeliner lines should never be very thick on small eyes.
- The black eyeliner line on your eyelid should extend beyond the outermost corners of your eyes and should be drawn slightly upwards resembling a long thick eyelash. This kind of winged eyeliner look makes eyes bigger. Sometimes, only the application of liquid eyeliner and mascara is enough to make eyes seem naturally bigger and beautiful. Liquid/ gel eyeliner, eyelash curler, and mascara are some must-have products to beautify small eyes instantly.
- The beautification of eyebrows and eyelashes are important if one wishes to make eyes appear larger. Eyebrows frame the eyes, and a pair of well-groomed eyebrows enhances the beauty of eyes. Stray hairs under the brows should be removed carefully with tweezers. Visit beauty parlors twice a month and get your eyebrows shaped by professionals. Thick and shapely eyebrows make your eyes appear larger.
- If you have light eyebrows, you should fill your eyebrows with an eyebrow pencil, and then blend/smudge the brow color with the soft tip of an ear bud.
- Upper eyelashes should be curled with an eyelash curler. Uncurled regular eyelashes often sag down casting a shade and thus making them look smaller. Correct techniques of eyelash curling and mascara application would surely make your eyes look larger and attractive.
- While curling your eyelashes with an eyelash curler start from the roots and carefully press the curler for ten seconds on each lash line. Then move the curler up to the middle of the lashes and press for ten seconds. With a light hand apply some pressure on two parts- at the base of the eyelashes and their middle. Do not crimp the lashes or break hair follicles. Read manufacturer's instructions when you are using lash curler for the first time.
- When you curl your lashes with an eyelash curler, your eyes instantly appear a bit larger and more beautiful. After curling your lashes apply mascara. Mascara adds dimension and volume to your lashes and makes your eyes bigger and attractive. Avoid forming clumps while applying mascara. Clumps and lashes stuck together can make your eyes look clumsy. So always apply mascara carefully.
- Remove excess mascara from the mascara wand on a clean tissue paper. Start applying mascara from the roots of the lashes to the tips, wiggling the wand as you apply upwards. Apply two or three coats of mascara.
- Put a tissue paper under the lower eyelashes and then apply mascara on them. Use the tip of the mascara wand instead of its side bristles to coat the lower lashes properly with mascara.
- If required, you could also use some eye brightening drops in your eyes to make your eyes appear whiter and attractive. You can use the very popular Optrex Eyedew Dazzling Eye Drops. Celebrities and makeup artists widely use this innovative eye drop. Optrex Eyedew Dazzling Eye Drops contains a distinctive blue ingredient “that makes the whites of your eyes look even whiter”. Read manufacturer's instructions before using.
Essential Eye Makeup for Big Eyes
If you want to make your eyes look larger and feminine, you must buy a good quality lash curler. Traditional, mechanical clamp eyelash curlers are suitable for daily use. Delicate and short eyelashes can be curled with these lash curlers.
The eyelashes can be rolled by fitting the lash curler on the lashes and pressing the bottom and top parts of the curler firmly together. The clamping action allows the lashes curve into the shape of the lash curler. Clamp lash curlers have rubber pads between them to protect the lashes by offering cushioning effect. These mechanical, clamp curlers provide easy opening and closing movements. The curling pads are curvy and durable.
Some good quality lash curlers are – Oriflame Eyelash Curler, Faces Eyelash Curler.
To make small eyes appear larger and brighter, we need appropriate light colored eyeshadows. Selecting the proper light colored eyeshadow is a tricky task. However, we have made your job easier by providing the list of best light eyeshadows. These are:-
Loreal Paris Infallible Monos Eyeshadow shade 'Forever Pink' [light pink shimmery shade that is suitable for entire upper eyelid.]
Loreal Paris Infallible Monos Eyeshadow shade 'Endless Chocolate' [ dark brownish shade. This shade can be used in upper eyelid crease and corners]
Maybelline Diamond Glow by Eyestudio Eyeshadow palette named 'Copper Brown' - Contains four gorgeous light colors. This palette has shades for entire upper eyelid as well as for the crease.
Loreal Paris Volume Million Lashes Extra Black Mascara- This superior quality mascara provides length, volume and curl to the lashes for a very long time. This mascara has a very special brush that allows you to thicken and curl your lashes without clumping them.
For the perfect, gorgeous look use Maybelline Eyestudio Lasting Drama 36 Hr Gel Eyeliner. This eyeliner comes with a special eyeliner brush that makes the application of this liner easy, quick and flawless. You can draw thin or thick lines or wings and cat eyes easily with this eyeliner. This eyeliner gives an impeccable finish to your eyes.
Eye Liner Pencil
If you want to make your small eyes, appear bigger then stop using black eyeliner pencils or black kajal on your entire lower lash line. Instead use a light colored eyeliner pencil to define the outer half of your lower lashline. The light colored eye pencil should be used near the bottom lashline and not inside the waterline of your eyes.
Lotus Herbals Hypnotica Eye Contour Definer in shade 'Glitzy Brown' is the best shade for eyeliner pencil for small eyes. This is a shimmery brown liner.
We hope you found our tips useful. Follow these eye makeup tricks and let your eyes do the talking. But to look more beautiful make sure you reduce fat in your face as it will enhance your overall looks along with these eye makeup tips.